Downtown West Salem has geographic, demographic and historic assets that will play a very important role in developing and establishing a new era of prosperity in our Village. The physical appearance and economic health of a community’s downtown are perceived as a direct reflection of the entire community.
The Village People of West Salem, a non-profit volunteer-based strategic planning group, has united to assist in developing and implementing a West Salem downtown revitalization process. The mission of the Village People of West Salem is to engage the community as a whole to participate in this ongoing process for realizing a shared vision for the downtown. This process, called “Presenting West Salem”, honors our historic downtown district as the commercial, spiritual, geographic and cultural center of the community. It is important that each and every one of us becomes involved in the revitalization process, as it will impact the quality of life in West Salem for all who live, work and visit here.
Three of the projects initiated in the downtown by the Village People of West Salem included: a new bike shelter along the La Crosse River State Trail, the West Salem Area Boy’s and Girl’s Club temporarily located at 134 East Hamilton and the summer Farmer’s Market held weekly by the bike shelter. The latest information on our projects is available in the newsletters on this site.
[click photo to enlarge]
The Village People of West Salem share a common concern for the future of downtown West Salem along with a willingness to improve and invest in it. We challenge you to also show your concern and support by investing in our future fund raising campaigns. Your commitment is crucial to the long term success of “Presenting West Salem”.
- Support retention of existing business
- Stimulate new businesses and job opportunity
- Improve economic development and tourism
- Increase and diversify the tax base
- Further cooperation among Village government, local schools, businesses, other civic organizations, as well as, the community at large
- Create an appealing downtown through beautification and restoration projects
- Encourage reuse and restoration of downtown historic buildings
- Provide the community with new projects and services
- Promote new community investment
- Promote a sense of pride, unity and belonging to the Village
The mission of the Village People of West Salem is to engage the community in identifying and facilitating projects for growth and development, beautification, historic preservation, and community awareness of the benefits of proactive planning. Our primary focus is on the revitalization of downtown, capturing the spirit and uniqueness of the past, present and future of our community.
Owner: Village People of West Salem
Page updated 11/05/2015